Wednesday, January 26, 2011

NOW READ THIS!

I work at a library in what is now called the Youth Services department, a department formerly known as the kid's section or the children's department. It is also occasionally known as the "hey, where are the game computers/bathrooms/elevators?" department. 

I love books.  I love putting the right book in the right hands and having a kid come back to me and say "That was AWESOME!  Can you help me find another one?!?!"  I love having a parent come in and tell me that the book I recommended was perfect and his or her child who hated to read now wants to read more! longer! better!

I love books of all shapes and sizes.  All genres (well, not a huge sci-fi fan, but will read on occasion).  I spend more than my fair share of time reading picture books, juvenile fiction and non-fiction, YA, folk tales, poetry.  On good days I even read books for grown-ups (currently reading In the Woods by Tana French.  Very, very good.)  I try to stay as current as I can with not just what is popular with the wee whippersnappers, but also with great books that they may overlook.  The book I will have to put in their hands while holding their gaze steady with my serious eyes and promising them "you will love it - I swear!"  The book I will have to booktalk like crazy because even though the book is full of awesomeness, the cover is crapolicious (and my goodness there are some doozies out there).

So, on occasion I might venture from stories about my kids to stories about stories.  I must admit here that I have a stronger catalog of books to recommend for the 2nd-4th grade boy crowd because I have a boy in that age range.  I am also pretty good on all books princess/fairy/mermaid/pink because I have a 5 year old girly girl.

I will be adding links to websites that I like that are full of good book choices.  My current fave for boys is Guys Read.  I love Jon Scieszka.  I love Mac Barnett.  Well, not them, per se.  But their books.  Their writing.  Their unabashed boyness.  I recently had the opportunity to go see Jeff Kinney speak and he said that after writing the Wimpy Kid books he kept hearing from parents, teachers and librarians about how his books were great for reluctant readers and that he eventually figured out that reluctant reader was just code for BOY.  The Guys Read initiative and the authors that contribute to the website and the books (one currently out and more to come!) are doing their best to change that.  If you have a boy and you have ever despaired of him reading more than the x-box instructions, then you should check it out.  And if you do, all I have to say is "38!".

No comments:

Post a Comment