Sunday, February 6, 2011

I am invincible. Sometimes.

In the past 18 months:

1. I learned that I can connect wirey/wireless/electrical things like internets and TVs and Wiis and they work!  Reading directions (and when all else fails, calling tech support) really pays off!  All of those things I never thought I could do?  I did.
2. I rebuilt an entertainment center that had been completely dismantled and shipped from my home in Oman.  I did not have the directions and bolts had gone missing during the packing/shipping process so I went to the hardware store and bought replacements ALL BY MYSELF.
3. I taught myself how to refinish furniture and did a dresser and a bed for my daughter's room.
4. I bought a tent and went camping.  Twice.  Once just with Blaine and the second time with Blaine and Kyra (the deepwoods diva!).  It went well enough that I think we can keep doing it.  (Damn you Cub Scouts!)  My idea of roughing it is staying at a Holiday Inn.  I hope my kids appreciate my sacrifice.

I also kill and dispose of bugs, fish hairbrushes out of toilets, take out garbage, check the air pressure in my tires, get my oil changed on a regular basis and a thousand other small, seemingly insignificant tasks.  All things that I never cared to do and never really had to do because there was always someone else to do it for me.  But now I do these things for myself and for my kids and I have found that I really don't mind.  Sure sometimes it's a real drag (really kids how did the hairbrush end up in the toilet???) and sometimes it is frustrating, but overall what I end up with each time I attempt something new is a sense of pride and accomplishment.  Each time something works (Hello wireless internet!  I never knew how you worked before!)  I gain a little confidence.

However, there are some things that I will not do.  For example, taxes.  Taxes are the reason God invented accountants.  I also cannot figure out how to build a pinewood derby car (again, damn you Cub Scouts!).  How am I supposed to turn a block of wood into a race car?  Power tools?  What?  Wheels and axles and graphite and weight ratios and calibration...whoops, my head just exploded.

I'm now thinking about buying or possibly building a home.  My mom is a realist and keeps informing me of all the negatives/realities of home ownership.  Like stuff breaking.  Water leaking.  Lawn mowers.  But I really feel like I can  handle it.  Sure, it's nice to be able to make a call and have maintenance come out and fix stuff for free, but the trade off is not feeling like this place is mine and if I want to paint the walls red and tear out the carpet and put down tile I can.  I want that.  I want the ownership. I want to be able to say "This is mine.  I made this happen.  Me." 

Blaine just wants me to buy a house so he can have a dog.  Hey, we all have our priorities.

1 comment:

  1. You are such a wonderful example to your kids, Jennifer. You're teaching them every day that you (and they) can do anything!

    ReplyDelete