Sunday, January 16, 2011

Happy Birthday to Kyra

Tonight at 8:37pm EST, my little girl turned 5.

Holy cow, my baby is 5.

5 years of awesomness.  5 years of the sweetest, most beautiful, most exasperating, most challenging child.  Totally different from her older brother.  She has made me learn completely different parenting skills because what worked with Blaine does not work with her.  I've tried dissecting their differences before, but suffice it to say, they are night and day, chalk and cheese, black and white. Yet he is still her best friend, her lovey, her defender.  She is also his biggest defender.  She will jump up in front of me if she thinks I'm being mean to Blaine (i.e., telling him he has to do his homework before playing on the Wii) and will put her hands on her hips, jut out her obstinate chin and look me dead in the eye and say "You don't talk to my brother like that!  NOT NICE!"

I'm not afraid to admit that she is smarter than I am.  She outsmarts me on a regular basis and it keeps me on my toes.  We've been having issues with veggie eating.  She doesn't want to and  I try to convince her that vegetables are not going to poison her.   Recently, while driving to pick her brother up from school we had the following debate, in which I had my ass handed to me:

Me: Kyra, you know you have to eat vegetables.  Barbie eats vegetables and look how smart and pretty and healthy she is.
Kyra: Barbie doesn't eat vegetables
Me: Yes she does!  Barbie loves vegetables!
Kyra:  Mom...Barbie isn't real.  She is pretend and so is her food!
Me:  Uh, ok.  Well, the people who invented Barbie and make Barbies - they got so smart because they eat their vegetables.
Kyra: You don't know that
Me: Of course I do!  Vegetables make you smart and the Barbie inventors are smart!
Kyra: No, you don't know that they eat their vegetables because you don't know them!  You don't know what they eat!

At this point I realized I was losing an argument to a 4 year old.  So I decided to just end the conversation.  And again, I was outsmarted:

Me: You know what, let's not argue about it anymore.  You just ride along in the backseat and I will ride along in the front and we will go get your brother and everyone will be happy!
Kyra: I'm not in the backseat
Me: Yes you are.  I'm in the front, you are in the back
Kyra: No, you are in the front.  My bike is in the back.  I am in the MIDDLE seat.

Again she was right.  And she knows it.  And she gloats.  And I wouldn't have her any other way because she is awesomeness.

Speaking of awesomeness, here is a small sampling of her fashion sense.  Her clothing choices are hysterical, but they work because she is fearless when it comes to fashion.  I love her more than I could ever describe.  There are no words to sufficiently tell the story of how blessed and lucky I feel every single day of my life.  She was an unexpected pregnancy after I thought I could not have more children and she remains my daily unexpected joy in ways big and small.  Happy birthday Kyra.

18ish months.  She started dressing herself at a young age.

See? Awesomeness.

You know you wish you could pull off this look as well as she does

Cheese face

With her hero and big brother, Blaine

No comments:

Post a Comment